User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Mod?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Exhaust Mod?

What's a good exhaust mod? I'm looking to replace the full tube, not just the tailpipe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agile, light, economical, cheap but breathing quality. OK, these words could be borrowed from the promotional crib sheet of a great deal of motorcycles under the EICMA roof but the 390 is a machine that has KTM staff excited because the mix has been created to fantastic effect on this occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexxo View Post
    Agile, light, economical, cheap but breathing quality. OK, these words could be borrowed from the promotional crib sheet of a great deal of motorcycles under the EICMA roof but the 390 is a machine that has KTM staff excited because the mix has been created to fantastic effect on this occasion.
    Are you referring to a mod I could use? Or are you referring to the bike a mod can be used on? Please clarify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have an idea from this image. I love that type of exhaust setup on a sports bike! I don't know what model of Duke is this, but it should look similar on 390 also.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KTM_2000_SMC_Silver_Left.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Akrapovic system should do the trick, but I don't think it replaces the downpipe. In the pic I've seen, you have to remove the pillion pegs to fit the brackets as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chanced to happen by this on the net and seemed impressed and obsessed with this.When i order my 390,this shall top my priority lists.It looks similar to a simple pipe but definitely has a sound that will make everyone sit up.It points up aggressively and also it has light weight.
    Look at this video.I can't imagine how much of a roarer this will be on the 390

KTM DUKE 125-200 GPR EXHAUST SOUND VIDEO GPR SUONO GPR POT SONORITE' - YouTube

P.S : Couldn't embed this video in here.Can somebody sort that out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an update, I fitted an Akrapovic exhaust a while back. It uses the standard downpipe still, but has a much smaller cat and looks great. You can keep the rear footpegs, or take them off as I did and pay extra for a hanging bracket that looks really cool. Great sound too, but very expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Silbo View Post
    As an update, I fitted an Akrapovic exhaust a while back. It uses the standard downpipe still, but has a much smaller cat and looks great. You can keep the rear footpegs, or take them off as I did and pay extra for a hanging bracket that looks really cool. Great sound too, but very expensive.
    Interesting upgrade, However, there seems to be quite a few options for a new exhausts that are less expensive than the Akrapovic, what is the big advantage of the Akrapovic that justifies the cost? ,Do you think the figures of a 5 bhp increase are about right? Does it help the running at low and medium revs? Does it improve fule economy? Thanks if you have time to answer these questions, John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,
    For me it was about buying into a well-known, quality product and getting a factory re-map at the same time, as no exhaust on its own is going to give +5 bhp on such a small engine. My Duke is my hobby, not my primary transport, so I wanted it to look good and sound great, but still be legal. The Akra is beautifully made and finished and with the hanger fitted and rear footrests removed, looks the business. It's also exclusive because of the cost and that's a statement I'm happy with. In terms of performance, the low and mid-range are crisper and there is more urge.I have fitted a K&N air filter too and the very bottom of the rev range is still woolly and hot starting is not always perfect, but these are KTM mapping issues, not problems induced by the Akra. Any exhaust and filter change will benefit from a full dyno test and re-map, because a factory map always going to be a compromise and not specific to the bike and whatever after-market parts are fitted. This is why I plan to have a full dyno test and remap with a Power Commander 3 fitted, where the air/fuel mix is sampled every 250 rpm and optimised. This should get maximum benefit from the mods made.
    Interestingly enough, I am told that it doesn't make any difference to the mapping whether you use premium fuel or not, but I'm happier using premium fuel in a small, high performance engine and the higher the octane rating the smoother an engine of this type should run.
    When I get the PC3 fitted and the Katie dynoed, that should make a discernible difference and I'll let you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbo View Post
    Hi John,
    For me it was about buying into a well-known, quality product and getting a factory re-map at the same time, as no exhaust on its own is going to give +5 bhp on such a small engine. My Duke is my hobby, not my primary transport, so I wanted it to look good and sound great, but still be legal. The Akra is beautifully made and finished and with the hanger fitted and rear footrests removed, looks the business. It's also exclusive because of the cost and that's a statement I'm happy with. In terms of performance, the low and mid-range are crisper and there is more urge.I have fitted a K&N air filter too and the very bottom of the rev range is still woolly and hot starting is not always perfect, but these are KTM mapping issues, not problems induced by the Akra. Any exhaust and filter change will benefit from a full dyno test and re-map, because a factory map always going to be a compromise and not specific to the bike and whatever after-market parts are fitted. This is why I plan to have a full dyno test and remap with a Power Commander 3 fitted, where the air/fuel mix is sampled every 250 rpm and optimised. This should get maximum benefit from the mods made.
    Interestingly enough, I am told that it doesn't make any difference to the mapping whether you use premium fuel or not, but I'm happier using premium fuel in a small, high performance engine and the higher the octane rating the smoother an engine of this type should run.
    When I get the PC3 fitted and the Katie dynoed, that should make a discernible difference and I'll let you know.
    Thanks again for this Silbo, I think I might get an Akra next time I put the bike in for a service, it sounds like it makes a fair bit of difference. I am interested to know how the dyno remap and power commander 3 turns out.
    My bike runs a lot better now, it seemed to take about 1500 miles to loosen up. I also find it does run better on the higher grade fuel. John