Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bala85 View Post
    I already some in my mind,maybe you could use them if you do create a thread.These were from my friends who have a 390.
    Super-light unlike CBR and Hyosung GT-650,Braking transcends a level,Exhaust is completely a pleasure and throaty,and we already know about the tyres.
    They have had a ride over a few potholes due to severe rains couple of months back, and it seems the ride was quite ok.they checked for the ride quality as there were reports of hard suspensions and jarring ride quality,thanks god,those were just rumours..!!
    The cons sound funny..Pillion rider should be a super-model to fit in(the reason why i might just buy it off..:P)
    and The engine heats up quite a lot!...This should be of consideration,they say it does not give them a big bike feeling,a big of being light i reckon.
    Aww, I just created a thread about this, sadly I hadn't seen this thread until now So, the 390 is way lighter than the CBR? I'm guessing we are talking about the CBR 150, right? This bike sounds like a beauty that can really perform! Great for those into sport bikes, I might get this one one day, once I get more and more familiar with bikes. I just started riding last year, so I really need to gather more experience!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firelily99 View Post
    That color combination would attract some attention but I have seen it on other bikes in this area. Its not for everyone, the predominant color that I see is still the basic black.
    Some people I know don't quite dig the color combo of this bike, it's not something you see so often over here, but in my opinion that color combo is perfect for the amazing design and pretty frame of this bike, it really suits it! Plus, those who don't like it can easily pain it in a different color

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The combo isn't for everybody but these days I am seeing colors on cars that have me scratching my head. This is the time of bright sneakers and possibly bright bikes. I am not crazy about it but like you mentioned, if you don't like the color then paint it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mirrors - they're crap. But as discussed elsewhere, I can live with them as the rest is amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just bought a 390 Duke. It does not like running at a constant speed in town. If you are in third gear, at say 20 mph, it judders and stutters. Its the same at lower speeds in other gears. For the first few miles in town, before it gets warmed up, it cuts out at the lights. Once its cut out, it can take a fair bit of starter motor effort to get it going again. So, Im not sure that this bike is good for the city. In fact, mine is difficult in town, because you have to account for the erratic running, and possibility of cutting out, all of the time. As for maintenance and cost, the first 600 mile service is not free, its £140 in fact, so this cost needs to be factored into your cost projections. Im just hoping it will get better with use, I have now had the first service, and it is a little better, but still far from a smooth low speed runner, and that cut out problems potentially dangerous in traffic.
    Last edited by John Campbell; 07-16-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,
    The valve clearances should have been checked at the first service as they may have been set slightly too closed at the factory. Also the OEM spark plug can be suspect. Other than that, use super grade petrol (Shell or BP works well for me) and if you fancy buying a K&N air filter, that may help too. My bike exhibited these symptoms for a while, but I found using decent petrol really helped.
    Something else you may like to consider is that this is a small capacity high revving single cylinder bike, which is not torquey and like all singles, suffers from flywheel effect at low speeds in a high gear. If you ride very gently and expect the grunt a twin or a big single gives, you will disappointed.
    My advice is to ride it more like a two stroke - use the revs, roll the throttle on and off more to keep things smooth and do not worry too much about mechanical sympathy - it's built to take it! You don't have to thrash your Duke everywhere you go, just ride it a bit differently. Try it and let me know how you get on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Ive just bought a 390 Duke. It does not like running at a constant speed in town. If you are in third gear, at say 20 mph, it judders and stutters. Its the same at lower speeds in other gears. For the first few miles in town, before it gets warmed up, it cuts out at the lights. Once its cut out, it can take a fair bit of starter motor effort to get it going again. So, Im not sure that this bike is good for the city. In fact, mine is difficult in town, because you have to account for the erratic running, and possibility of cutting out, all of the time. As for maintenance and cost, the first 600 mile service is not free, its £140 in fact, so this cost needs to be factored into your cost projections. Im just hoping it will get better with use, I have now had the first service, and it is a little better, but still far from a smooth low speed runner, and that cut out problems potentially dangerous in traffic.
    I just sent you an email John, I was asking if you had any of the problems other people have had with your Duke, then I found this post you made which I guess answers my question, not 100% sure about buying a Duke now. Thanks for you feedback John.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rick,
    Yes, the point I made about the somewhat erratic running at around town speeds are true. In this situation it can be a bit snatchey. It also has a tendency to cut out if you are going from high revs to low revs quickly. This is particularly a problem during the first mile or two of running, before the engine has had time to warm up. Overall, the running has become smother as the bike is run in more, I think the engines are fairley tight when new.

However, there are very many positive aspects to the bike as well, which need to be balanced against this. It is light and extremely manoeuvrable, and goes into corners and around corners like no bike I have ridden before. On twisty roads I think it would give serious sports bites a good run for their money. The braking also seems to be excellent, and of course you have the advantage of the ABS as standard. It is also one of the best gear changing bikes I have ridden and goes from gear to gear with consummate ease. For around town, the riding position is also excellent, with good visibility, however at high speeds it does tend to get on the windy side. Another thing that has impressed me about the bike is the overall build quality which seems to be excellent. It also amazes me how fast the bike is, with excellent acceleration. There is certainly no need to take any insults from golf GTIs at that the lights. I think the best thing for you to do is to test ride it to see if it suits your riding style, if it does, it has got many advantages and is certainly a great fun motorcycle.

Silbo suggested that I try running it on higher grade fuel, and this does seem to make a slight improvement. I have also found that it runs more smoothly at low speeds if you change up into a higher gear, so you are putting a little bit of stress on the engine. It is also smooth when you are accelerating or decelerating, with good levels of engine braking.
    Last edited by John Campbell; 08-03-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Hello Rick,
    Yes, the point I made about the somewhat erratic running at around town speeds are true. In this situation it can be a bit snatchey. It also has a tendency to cut out if you are going from high revs to low revs quickly. This is particularly a problem during the first mile or two of running, before the engine has had time to warm up. Overall, the running has become smother as the bike is run in more, I think the engines are fairley tight when new.

However, there are very many positive aspects to the bike as well, which need to be balanced against this. It is light and extremely manoeuvrable, and goes into corners and around corners like no bike I have ridden before. On twisty roads I think it would give serious sports bites a good run for their money. The braking also seems to be excellent, and of course you have the advantage of the ABS as standard. It is also one of the best gear changing bikes I have ridden and goes from gear to gear with consummate ease. For around town, the riding position is also excellent, with good visibility, however at high speeds it does tend to get on the windy side. Another thing that has impressed me about the bike is the overall build quality which seems to be excellent. It also amazes me how fast the bike is, with excellent acceleration. There is certainly no need to take any insults from golf GTIs at that the lights. I think the best thing for you to do is to test ride it to see if it suits your riding style, if it does, it has got many advantages and is certainly a great fun motorcycle.

Silbo suggested that I try running it on higher grade fuel, and this does seem to make a slight improvement. I have also found that it runs more smoothly at low speeds if you change up into a higher gear, so you are putting a little bit of stress on the engine. It is also smooth when you are accelerating or decelerating, with good levels of engine braking.
    John Thank you very much for the reply, like a review and a good one at that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't crazy about the colour scheme; I prefer a more understated look, so I had mine wrapped in vinyl. The vinyl doesn’t only serve as protection for the panels but if the next owner (not that I can imagine selling it) doesn’t like the vinyl then it can be removed to reveal the original colour, stickers and all!

I’m planning on having the lower fairing and the front fended done in the “carbon look” at some point.

What do you think?

Name:  IMG_3499.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3496.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  93.4 KB