Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duke390 isn't 390CC at all

I cam across some weird calculations and understood the whole point behind this calc.The Duke isn't a 390 CC engine,it is being marketed as one.
    If its really 390 CC the bore should be 91 mm and not 89 mm.
    I came across this in an fb page.The length is 60 mm and bore is 89mm
    Check out the calc.. volume of a 60mm length cylinder diameter of 91mm - Wolfram|Alpha
    Its only around 375 CC,a huge 15cc smaller..but all this,why..??
    It would have been easy to have added another 1mm to take it closer to 390 and proclaim its a 390.I don't understand the point behind this..
    Anyone care to explain..??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The numeric part of a bike's name is hardly every the exact displacement of the engine. Google a few examples and you will see what I mean. In recent years Mercedes and BMW cars are also not linking the model derivative to the displacement of the engine, e.g. A BMW 335i is no longer a 3,5 liter engine.

Most likely, but I'm guessing now, KTM decided on 390 to resonate with the 690 image that is well established.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Duke 390 isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Joeboy69 View Post
    The numeric part of a bike's name is hardly every the exact displacement of the engine. Google a few examples and you will see what I mean. In recent years Mercedes and BMW cars are also not linking the model derivative to the displacement of the engine, e.g. A BMW 335i is no longer a 3,5 liter engine.

Most likely, but I'm guessing now, KTM decided on 390 to resonate with the 690 image that is well established.
    Duke 390 isn't
    And you are absolutely right! (I suspect that is for getting around licence restrictions in some countries)- but it might have an advantage insurance-wise. Until they find out what this machine is for.Haw!
    I never said it and you didn't read it. (Perhaps KTM will offer a 'big bore' conversion?)