Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post KTM Duke 390 Performance gains with K&N filter

Hi everyone...has any one installed a K&N Air filter and / or a upgraded exhaust on your 390?

Any performance gains?
    Founder, ktm390duke.com - The Internet's friendliest KTM Duke 390 Forum!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a KTM, but I have used K&N filters on all my bikes because I have always felt more comfortble having a performance air filter on a performance bike. it's the same reason I use premium gasoline. I haven't noticed a true increase in performance, but the air filter does have superior filtration and keeps the engine clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K&N filters do increase top speed and improves the sound coming from the exhaust. The flip side is that the mileage decreases and there could be a possible hesitation when you accelerate suddenly. But overall they provide good value for money and most of those who go for it are satisfied.

To get the best performance out of them they need to be cleaned regularly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is quite cheap in here for an air filter.It is priced @ INR 4000 which is approximately $70.I reckon you will need a good intake system,which the DUKE is capable of.When a check on the available air filters is made i am sure nothing beats a K&N.Even without doing a exhaust modification,this upgrade makes the sound of Duke better.Acceleration sound is just awesome using this filter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used K&N filters and I have used S&S air filters and honestly, I can't say that I've noticed much performance improvement. I have to run the more open air filters because of the mods I've made to the engine of the bike and the exhaust. So maybe that's why I don't have an opinion about the filter itself. I've never used one on a stock motorcycle before. I've heard that using high quality filters and high grade gas really perk up stock bikes, so it can't hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted a K&N exhaust before putting on an Akra exhaust and having the factory remap (+5 bhp) at my dealer. It makes mid-range much better and there is more at the top end (I'm a rugby player physique and my bike will just pull 100mph). I only use Shell or BP super unleaded, but the low speed fuelling is still not right. Also, I have to let the bike warm up before riding, because if you blip the throttle before it has run for a couple of minutes, it stalls and then is a bitch to re-start. Same goes if you stall when cold. So I believe that the standard KTM for Akra re-map is not compensating for the additional airflow the K&N filter provides.
    The fix will be to fit a Power Commander 5 (now available for the Duke 390) and have the fuelling set up by a competent DynoJet approved shop. With the rolling road and their s/w, you can map and adjust the fuelling for every 250 rpm, so this should be much better than a general re-map, which is what the factory re-map is. I'll report back when I get it done.
    As a cautionary note, I advise to steer clear of the enthusiastic amateurs from India, who offer a tuning box and instructions on doing it yourself, which is completely pointless without a rolling road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait for ur report mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my post under Exhaust Mod thread. Waiting for DynoJet to finish development of Power Commander 5.