Alright, to keep this short, I am 24 years old, live in the Dominican Republic, am 6' 4", 210 lbs., and absolutely love riding motorcycles. I moved here 2.5 years ago from Ohio (United States) with absolutely no motorcycle experience. I bought an enduro ('94 TTR250- sold), then a supermoto ('13 wr250f- planning to sell), now I have my eye on the Duke 390 or 690. I do mostly short, zippy trips on a campus where I work (bumpy asphalt roads) but go into town on relatively smooth roads often and make the occasional 2 or 3 hour trip through twisty mountain roads.

All that being said, I'm not sure we even have an official KTM dealer on the island and I'm not sure how reliable this bike is. Obviously from reading around on the forums, it goes both ways. Some say it is very reliable with the right oil and others say that it is cheaply built and they strip screws and wiring harnesses fry often. I'm not sure what to believe here guys. I want to plan on doing all the maintenance myself with limited bike knowledge, but also want to know that the maintenance won't be too often and I can have a more worry-free bike (as worry-free as a single cylinder "nude" bike can be).

All this to say, I really want to buy this bike and enjoy the heck out of it. Also, a sub-question would be: Should I get the 390 or pursue the more rare 690? (rare in the Dominican Republic, but 390 is rare as well).

If you made it this far, sorry for the amount of typing, but thank you for taking the time to help me out. Any information is greatly appreciated.